Acetylcysteine is used together with other medicines to treat lung disorders associated with abnormal, thick and viscous mucous secretions (phlegm).
This medicine reduces the thickness of the phlegm, so it can be cough up more easily.
Acetylcysteine may be used to treat other conditions as decided by your doctor.
Use this medicine exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not take more or less than instructed by your doctor.
The dose of this medicine will be decided by your doctor. Your doctor will advise you on the treatment timeframe depending on your condition.
Acetylcysteine is available as a nebulising solution, to be used with a machine known as a nebuliser.
To use this medicine:
- Place the solution in the small chamber called the nebuliser.
- Attach the nebuliser to an oxygen mask.
- Attach the tubing from the oxygen mask to the container of compressed air.
- Place the mask over your nose and mouth. Make sure that it fits firmly.
- Feed the compressed air into the tubing at the pressure level your doctor told you.
- Once all of the solution is gone from the nebuliser, turn off the compressed air and remove the mask.
Make sure you know how to use the specific device or machine you have been given. If you have problems or do not understand the instructions, ask your doctor or pharmacist to show you how to use it.
Use the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your normal dosing schedule.
DO NOT double a dose under any circumstances.
Inform your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- bronchospasm (breathing distress caused by narrowing of the airways)
Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Acetylcysteine may cause drowsiness. If affected, do not drive or take part in any activity in which you need to be alert.
Other side effects include any of the following: nausea, vomiting, sore mouth, runny nose, clamminess, and chest tightness.
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any antibiotics e.g. tetracycline, erythromycin.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.