Symptoms and signs: Aciclovir is only partly absorbed in the gastrointestinal tract.
Patients have ingested overdoses of up to 20 g aciclovir on a single occasion, usually without toxic effects. Accidental, repeated overdoses of oral aciclovir over several days have been associated with gastrointestinal effects (e.g. nausea and vomiting) and neurological effects (e.g. headache and confusion).
Management: Patients should be observed closely for signs of toxicity. Haemodialysis significantly enhances the removal of aciclovir from the blood and may, therefore, be considered a management option in the event of symptomatic overdose.