Aliskiren and Hydrochlorothiazide are combined together in this medicine. This medicine helps to keep your blood pressure under control.
Take Aliskiren + Hydrochlorothiazide exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not take more or less than instructed by your doctor.
You may take this medicine with or without food. Try to take it at the same time each day.
This medicine must be taken regularly for it to be effective. Continue taking Aliskiren + Hydrochlorothiazide even when you feel better. Do not stop taking it unless instructed by the doctor.
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your normal dosing schedule.
DO NOT double a dose under any circumstances.
If you often forget to take your medicine, let your doctor and pharmacist know.
Alert your doctor if you unable to pass urine as this medicine may not be suitable for you.
Do not take this medicine if you are pregnant or planning to have a baby soon. If you become pregnant while being treated with this medicine, alert your doctor immediately. This medicine may cause harm to your unborn child. You must use proven birth control methods while taking Aliskiren + Hydrochlorothiazide.
Do not take Aliskiren + Hydrochlorothiazide with other medicines used to treat high blood pressure if you have diabetes. This medicine should also not be taken with medicine for fungal infection, medicine for irregular heartbeat, and medicine used in organ transplant or certain immune disorders. Please see the section “Can I take this with other medicines?” below for more information.
Inform your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- history or risk of gout
- history of asthma
- high level of cholesterol in the blood
- parathyroid (gland that control body’s calcium levels) disease
- heart disease
- thyroid disease
- systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) – autoimmune disease that causes inflammation
- liver disease
- kidney disease e.g. narrowing of arteries that carry blood to the kidneys
- high level of calcium in the blood
- decreased blood volume
Let your doctor know if you are breastfeeding.
Your blood pressure may rise to unsafe levels without you noticing it. Keep your appointments with your doctor. Your doctor needs to monitor your condition and check your response to the medication regularly. Your doctor may also need to do routine blood tests while you are being treated with Aliskiren + Hydrochlorothiazide.
What lifestyle changes can I make to improve my blood pressure?
Regular exercise and eating a healthy diet will help lower your blood pressure and improve your overall health. Engage in physical activity (e.g. walking) at least 30 to 60 minutes on most days of the week. If you have not exercised for a long time, start with light exercises such as slow walks. Speak to your doctor about what type of exercise would be suitable for you. Follow a healthy diet plan by eating more fruits, vegetables, whole grains and low-fat dairy products and reduce your intake of foods high in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium. Cutting down on deep-fried foods and using less salt when cooking can kick-start your healthy diet.
If you smoke, you should try to quit. Smoking is harmful to your blood pressure, heart and overall health. Speak to your doctor or pharmacist about ways to kick your smoking habit.
Try to keep stress levels under control as stress will cause your blood pressure to go up.
Aliskiren + Hydrochlorothiazide may cause dizziness. If affected, do not drive or take part in any activity in which you need to be alert.
You may also feel dizzy when getting up from a sitting or lying down position, especially if you are taking this medicine for the very first time. This is common and should improve gradually as you get used to Aliskiren + Hydrochlorothiazide. It will help if you get up slowly from a sitting or lying down position. If you are taking this medicine for the very first time, take the first dose of Aliskiren + Hydrochlorothiazide at bedtime to minimise dizziness. Other side effects include any of the following: headache, diarrhoea, decreased appetite, nausea, vomiting, cough, diarrhoea, tiredness, joint pain, back pain and skin rash.
Some side effects may be serious but not common. Alert your doctor quickly if you experience:
- rashes with skin peeling or blisters
- difficulty breathing, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- signs of electrolyte imbalance (e.g. dry mouth, thirst, weakness, seizures, palpitations or irregular heartbeat, muscle pain and cramps)
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Do not take Aliskiren + Hydrochlorothiazide with the following medicines:
- other medicines used to treat high blood pressure e.g. candesartan, captopril, cilazapril, enalapril, eprosartan, fosinopril, imidapril, irbesartan, lisinopril, losartan, moexipril, olmesartan, perindopril, quinapril, ramipril, telmisartan, trandolapril, valsartan (if you have diabetes)
- medicine for fungal infection e.g. itraconazole
- medicine for irregular heartbeat e.g. quinidine
- medicine for organ transplant or certain immune disorders e.g. ciclosporin
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any of these medicines:
- medicines for pain and inflammation (NSAIDs) e.g. indometacin
- other diuretics or “water pills” e.g. furosemide, spironolactone
- medicine for diabetes e.g. insulin, glipizide
- medicine for mood disorders e.g. lithium
- medicines for heart disease e.g. verapamil
- cholesterol-lowering medicines e.g. colestyramine, colestipol, atorvastatin
- potassium supplements or potassium-containing salt substitutes
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Aliskiren + Hydrochlorothiazide.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
Avoid alcohol and excessive consumption (more than 1 litre a day) of grapefruit juice.
Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.