Aluminium hydroxide and Magnesium hydroxide are combined together in this medicine.
Aluminium hydroxide + Magnesium hydroxide is an antacid (medicines to neutralise stomach acid). It helps relieve heartburn, acid indigestion, sour stomach, and stomach upset associated with these symptoms.
Take Aluminium hydroxide + Magnesium hydroxide exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not take more or less than instructed by your doctor.
Take this medicine 1 hour after meals.
Aluminium hydroxide + Magnesium hydroxide is available as a chewable tablet or as an oral suspension.
If you are taking an oral suspension, shake the bottle well before you take it to ensure that the liquid is evenly mixed. Use the measuring spoon or cup provided to measure out your prescribed dose.
Try to take it at the same time each day.
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your normal dosing schedule.
DO NOT double a dose under any circumstances.
Alert your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- kidney disease
- severe abdominal pain
- possibility of bowel obstruction
- feeling very weak and have no energy
as this medicine may not be suitable for you.
Inform your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- diarrhoea or constipation
- porphyria (inherited disorder that may cause skin or nerve problem)
Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Aluminium hydroxide + Magnesium hydroxide may cause any of the following side effects: constipation, diarrhoea, stomach cramps, burping, nausea and vomiting.
If you will be taking this medicine for a long time, it may cause muscle weakness, tiredness, and loss of appetite.
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any of these medicines:
- antibiotics e.g. tetracycline, ciprofloxacin, cefdinir, cefpodoxime, rifampicin
- medicines for fungal infection e.g. ketoconazole, itraconazole
- medicines for malaria e.g. chloroquine, hydroxychloroquine
- medicine used to treat high levels of potassium in the blood e.g. polystyrene sulphonate
- medicines for pain and inflammation e.g. salicylates
- vitamin and mineral supplements e.g. ascorbic acid, iron salts, phosphate, vitamin D
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Aluminium hydroxide + Magnesium hydroxide.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.