Ciclosporin is used to increase tear production in patients whose tear production is suppressed due to inflammation and ulceration of the cornea (transparent layer in the front of the eye) associated with dry eye disease.
Use Ciclosporin exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not use more or less than instructed by your doctor.
Ciclosporin eye drops is available in multi-dose bottle and single-use vials.
If you are given the multi-dose bottle, follow these instructions:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water before using Ciclosporin.
- To obtain a uniform emulsion, invert the container a few times before using.
- Tilt your head slightly backwards. With the index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch and look upward.
- Apply the required amount by gently squeezing the container to release the required dose inside the lower eyelid.
- Close your eyes and do not blink for the next 30 seconds.
- Wipe any spill from your face with a clean tissue.
- Replace and tighten the cap after each use.
If you are given the single-use vial, follow these instructions:
- Wash your hands.
- Shake the single-use vial gently.
- Open the single-use vial and administer immediately.
- To administer, tilt your head slightly backwards and with the index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch and look upward. Apply the required amount by gently squeezing the container to release the required dose inside the lower eyelid.
- Close your eyes for 2 minutes after administration.
- Any remaining contents should be discarded after use. Discard according to your doctor or pharmacist’s instructions.
Instill the eye drops at the same time each day.
Do not allow the tip of the dropper of this medicine to touch your eyes, eyelids or any other surface. Recap immediately after use. If this medicine becomes contaminated, it could cause an infection in your eyes.
If you have been given any other eye drops or medicines to be used together with Ciclosporin, wait for at least 15 minutes before using the other medicine.
If you are wearing soft contact lenses, remove it before using Ciclosporin eye drops. Wait for at least 15 minutes before reinserting your lenses.
Do not share this medicine with anyone else.
Instill the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your normal dosing schedule.
DO NOT double a dose under any circumstances.
Alert your doctor if you have an eye infection as this medicine may not be suitable to you.
Inform your doctor if you have the following condition:
- increased pressure in the eyes
- history of eye herpes
Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Ciclosporin may cause some problems with your eyesight. If affected, do not drive or take part in any activity in which you need to see clearly.
Other side effects include any of the following: eye pain, discharge, foreign body sensation, increased tear flow, blurred vision, and redness, burning, stinging and itching of the eyes.
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are using any other medicines in your your eyes.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.
Do not use the multi-dose bottles 4 weeks after first opening.
Dispose multi-dose bottles and single-use vials according to your doctor or pharmacist’s instructions. Do not throw away with household waste. Keep used bottles and vials away from children’s reach.