An overdose of 12 g has been reported to lead to mild symptoms of toxicity. An acute overdose of 16 g has been reported to cause acute renal failure.
Symptoms in overdose consist of dizziness, tremor, headache, tiredness, seizures, hallucinations, confusion, abdominal discomfort, renal and hepatic impairment as well as crystalluria and haematuria. Reversible renal toxicity has been reported.
Apart from routine emergency measures, e.g. ventricular emptying followed by medical carbon, it is recommended to monitor renal function, including urinary pH and acidify, if required, to prevent crystalluria. Patients should be kept well hydrated. Calcium or magnesium containing antacids may theoretically reduce the absorption of ciprofloxacin in overdoses.
Only a small quantity of ciprofloxacin (<10%) is eliminated by haemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis.
In the event of overdose, symptomatic treatment should be implemented. ECG monitoring should be undertaken, because of the possibility of QT interval prolongation.