Ferrous fumarate and Folic acid are combined together in this medicine.
Ferrous fumarate and Folic acid is used to treat or prevent iron and folic deficiency anaemia during pregnancy. Iron and folic deficiency anemia is a blood disorder in which the body does not produce enough red blood cells due to a lack of iron and folic acid.
Take Ferrous fumarate + Folic acid exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not take more or less than instructed by your doctor.
This medicine should be taken on empty stomach, at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal. It may be taken together with food or immediately after a meal to help relieve stomach discomfort. Try to take it at the same time each day.
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your normal dosing schedule.
DO NOT double a dose under any circumstances.
If you often forget to take your medicine, let your doctor and pharmacist know.
Alert your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- haemolytic anaemia (a type of anaemia where red blood cells are destroyed)
- hemochromatosis (a type of hereditary disorder in which iron levels in the body slowly build up over the years resulting to iron overload)
as this medicine may not be suitable for you.
Inform your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- ulcerative colitis (inflammation of the small intestines) or other bowel problems
- stomach ulcers
- anaemia associated with vitamin B12 deficiency (e.g. pernicious anaemia, megaloblastic anaemia).
Let your doctor know if you are breastfeeding.
Be sure to check with your doctor or pharmacist before giving this medicine to a premature infant and child.
Keep your appointments with your doctor. Your doctor needs to monitor your condition and check your response to the medication regularly. He may also need to do routine blood tests while you are being treated with Ferrous fumarate + Folic acid.
Ferrous fumarate + Folic acid may cause any of the following side effects: constipation, stomach pain and discomfort, nausea, vomiting, and dark stools.
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any of these medicines:
- certain antibiotic e.g. tetracycline, chloramphenicol, fluoroquinolones
- medicines used in organ transplant or certain immune disorders e.g. mycophenolate
- medicines that contains salts of calcium, magnesium, and zinc
- medicines for thyroid disease e.g. levothyroxine
- medicine for epilepsy (fits or seizures) e.g. phenytoin
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Ferrous fumarate + Folic acid.
This medicine should not be taken with antacids as antacids could reduce the effectiveness of this medicine. If you must take antacids, take between meals at least 2 hours after you have taken this medicine.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
Avoid taking Ferrous fumarate + Folic acid with food such as tea, coffee, wholegrain cereals, eggs and milk. Ask your doctor about the types of food you should avoid.
Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.