Lanthanum carbonate is used to lower the phosphate levels in the blood in patients with end-stage kidney disease or kidney failure.
Take Lanthanum carbonate exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not take more or less than instructed by your doctor.
You may take this medicine with food or immediately after a meal. Try to take it at the same time each day.
Lanthanum carbonate is available as a chewable tablet or oral powder.
If you are taking the chewable tablet, chew it completely before swallowing. The tablets may be crushed to aid with chewing. Do not swallow whole.
If you are taking the oral powder, mix or sprinkle the powder on soft foods (e.g. applesauce) then swallow. Do not open the sachet until ready to use. Ensure that the mixture is eaten immediately. Never store any oral mixture for use at a later time.
The dose of Lanthanum carbonate will be decided by your doctor. Your doctor will advise you on the treatment regimen depending on your condition, response and tolerability to this medicine.
Lanthanum carbonate must be taken regularly for it to be effective. Continue taking this medicine even when you feel better. Do not stop taking it unless instructed by the doctor.
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your normal dosing schedule.
DO NOT double a dose under any circumstances.
If you often forget to take your medicine, let your doctor and pharmacist know.
Alert your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- hypophosphataemia (low phosphate levels in the blood)
- blocked bowel, fecal impaction (large volume of stool in the rectum), ileus (lack of movement somewhere in the bowel)
as Lanthanum carbonate may not be suitable for you.
Inform your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- liver disease
- stomach and/or bowel diseases e.g. stomach ulcer, inflammation of the bowels, bowel obstruction, ruptured bowel; history of stomach and/or bowel surgery, cancer, or ulcer
- blockage of the bile ducts
Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
If you are going for an operation or diagnostic procedures (e.g. x-ray), inform your doctor that you are taking Lanthanum carbonate as it may affect the results.
Keep your appointments with your doctor. Your doctor needs to monitor your condition and check your response to the medication regularly. You may need to have routine blood tests (e.g. liver function tests, calcium and phosphorus levels in the blood) while you are being treated with this medicine.
Lanthanum carbonate may cause drowsiness or dizziness with sensations of spinning. If affected, do not drive or take part in any activity in which you need to be alert or need to see clearly.
Other side effects include any of the following: diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, and stomach pain.
Some side effects may need immediate medical help. Alert your doctor quickly if you experience any of the following:
- signs and symptoms of an allergic reaction e.g. swelling of the face, mouth, lips, tongue, or throat with difficulty in breathing
- signs and symptoms of bowel obstruction e.g. severe bloating, inability to pass gas or stool, constipation
- signs and symptoms of hypocalcaemia e.g. confusion, muscle spasm, numbness or tingling in the hands, feet, or face
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any of these medicines:
- medicines for malaria e.g. chloroquine, hydroxychloroquine
- medicines to treat fungal infection e.g. ketoconazole
- certain antibiotics e.g. tetracycline, doxycycline, ciprofloxacin
- medicines for thyroid disorder e.g. levothyroxine
Lanthanum carbonate should not be taken with antacids as antacids could reduce the effectiveness of this medicine. If you must take antacid, there should be at least 2 hours interval between the antacid and Lanthanum carbonate.
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Lanthanum carbonate.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children. Protect from moisture.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.