Lindane is used to treat
scabies, head lice and pubic lice and their eggs.
Apply Lindane exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not use more than once or over a larger area than instructed by your doctor.
This medicine is available as a lotion or shampoo.
If you are using lotion, follow these steps:
How to apply for the treatment of scabies:
- Clean and dry your body before application. Wait at least 1 hour after bathing or showering before application. Do not apply any other lotions, creams, or oil before you apply this medicine.
- Apply a thin layer of the Lindane lotion under fingernails after trimming the fingernails short and all over skin from the neck down. Do not cover, wrap or bandage the area.
- Replace the cap of the tube.
- Do not wash or bathe for 8-12 hours.
- After 8-12 hours, wash off or rinse in the usual manner.
- Do not re-treat. Do not leave on for more than 12 hours.
If you are using the shampoo, follow these steps:
How to apply for the treatment of head lice:
- Wait at least 1 hour after washing hair before applying Lindane shampoo. Apply directly to without adding water. Work thoroughly into the hair and leave it for 4 minutes. Pay attention to the fine hairs along the neck and behind the ears.
- Do not use a conditioner, or oil treatment before or after applying Lindane shampoo. Do not cover the hair with shower cap or towel.
- After 4 minutes, add small amount of water to hair and work into lather. Immediately rinse all lather away. Avoid contact of lather to other parts of your body.
- Towel briskly and then remove nits with nit comb or tweezers.
- Do not re-treat.
Avoid application or contact of this medicine to the face, eyes, and mouth. Rinse immediately with water if gets into your eyes or mouth. Alert your doctor if you start to have any problems with your eyes.
If you are applying Lindane shampoo or lotion on another person, wear gloves made of nitrile, latex with neoprene or sheer vinyl.
Alert your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- uncontrolled fits or seizures
- crusted scabies (thick crusts of skin containing a large number of mites in the skin)
- other skin conditions such as psoriasis (a type of skin disease that is caused by itchy patches of thick, red skin and silvery scales) and eczema
as Lindane may not be suitable for you.
Do not use Lindane if you ever had an allergic reaction (e.g. rashes, breathlessness, swollen eyes) to this medicine or any of its ingredients.
Inform your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- other skin conditions
- history of seizures or fits
- head injury or tumour in the head
- HIV infection
- severe liver disease
Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Be sure to check with your doctor or pharmacist before giving Lindane to a child, an infant, an elderly or someone who weigh <50 kg. They may be more sensitive to the side effects.
Do not apply on broken or infected skin.
You may still experience itching of skin or scalp even after successful treatment, this does not mean that the medicine did not work. Do not apply more Lindane shampoo or lotion.
How can I prevent lice or mite infestation at home?
- Avoid direct skin-to-skin or hair-to-hair contact with an infested person.
- Avoid contact with the infested person’s belongings e.g. combs, hair accessories, hats, towels, clothing, bedding.
- Clean and vacuum the room of an infested person, and machine-wash and dry-clean all his/her clothing and bedding.
- If you are a close contact of the infested person, seek treatment immediately.
Lindane may cause any of the following side effects: irritation, stinging or burning sensation of skin and scalp, rashes, itch, hives, headache and loss of hair.
Some side effects may need immediate medical help. Alert your doctor quickly if you experience any of the following: contraction of muscles that you cannot control, restlessness, vomiting and seizure or fits.
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any of these medicines:
- medicine for mood disorders
- medicine to treat depression
- medicines used in organ transplant or certain immune disorders e.g. cyclosporin, tacrolimus
- antibiotics e.g. penicillin, imipenem, quinolone
- medicine to treat malaria e.g. chloroquine
- medicines to treat tuberculosis or TB e.g. isoniazid
- pain killers e.g. meperidine
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Lindane.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
Store in a cool, dry place, between 20-25°C, away from the reach of children.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.