Ezetimibe and Simvastatin are combined together in this medicine.
Ezetimibe+Simvastatin helps lower your cholesterol and triglyceride (fat) levels in the blood.
Excessive cholesterol and triglycerides in your body can clog up your blood vessels. This can lead to many health problems such as stroke and heart diseases, including heart attack.
This medicine is meant to be taken as part of a complete cholesterol management programme that should include exercise, a healthy diet and lifestyle.
This medicine may be used to treat other conditions as decided by your doctor.
Take Ezetimibe+Simvastatin exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not take more or less than instructed by your doctor.
You may take this medicine with or without food. Try to take it at the same time each day.
Ezetimibe+Simvastatin must be taken regularly for it to be effective. Continue taking this medicine even when you feel better. Do not stop taking it unless instructed by the doctor.
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your normal dosing schedule.
DO NOT double a dose under any circumstances.
If you often forget to take your medicine, let your doctor and pharmacist know.
Alert your doctor if you have liver disease as this medicine may not be suitable for you.
Do not take Ezetimibe+Simvastatin if you are pregnant or planning to have a baby soon. If you become pregnant while being treated with this medicine, alert your doctor immediately. Ezetimibe+Simvastatin may cause harm to your unborn child. You must use proven birth control methods while taking this medicine.
Do not breastfeed while you are being treated with this medicine.
Do not take Ezetimibe+Simvastatin with certain antibiotics, and medicines to treat fungal infections, HIV infection, hepatitis C (viral infection in the liver), depression, endometriosis (condition in which the lining of the womb grows outside the womb), certain immune disorders and high cholesterol level. Please see the section “Can I take this with other medicines?” below for more information.
Inform your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- kidney disease
- personal or family history of muscle disorder (muscle pain, tenderness or weakness)
- thyroid problems
Notify your doctor if you consume large amounts of alcohol or if you are a frequent drinker.
Be sure to check with your doctor or pharmacist before giving this medicine to children, elderly or Asians (e.g. Chinese).
If you are going for an operation, including minor surgery and dental work, inform your doctor or dentist that you are taking Ezetimibe+Simvastatin.
Keep your appointments with your doctor. Your doctor needs to monitor your condition and check your response to the medication regularly.
- Routine tests for cholesterol level will be done while you are being treated with this medicine.
- Monitoring of liver function and a test to assess muscle tissue damage may also be needed.
What lifestyle changes should I make to reduce my cholesterol levels?
Regular exercise and eating a healthy diet will help lower your cholesterol and improve your overall health. Engage in physical activity (e.g. walking) at least 30 to 60 minutes on most days of the week. If you have not exercised for a long time, start with light exercises such as slow walks. Follow a healthy diet plan by eating more fruits, vegetables and high fiber food. Speak to your doctor about what type of exercise and diet plan would be suitable for you.
Ezetimibe+Simvastatin may cause any of the following side effects: headache, upper airway infection, muscle pain, limb pain, diarrhoea and flu.
Some side effects may need immediate medical help. Alert your doctor quickly if you experience any of the following:
- unexplained muscle pain, tenderness or weakness
- signs and symptoms of liver problems such as yellowing of the skin or eyes, dark coloured urine, feeling weak or tired, loss of appetite, stomach pain
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Do not take Ezetimibe+Simvastatin if you are taking any of these medicines:
- certain antibiotics e.g. erythromycin, clarithromycin, telithromycin
- medicines to treat fungal infection e.g. itraconazole, ketoconazole, posaconazole, voriconazole
- medicines for HIV infection e.g. cobicistat, nelfinavir
- medicines for hepatitis C infection e.g. boceprivir, telaprevir
- medicines to treat depression e.g. nefazodone
- medicines used to treat endometriosis e.g. danazol
- medicines used in organ transplant or certain immune disorders e.g. ciclosporin
- cholesterol-lowering medicines e.g. gemfibrozil
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any of these medicines:
- medicines for heart disease e.g. amlodipine, amiodarone, verapamil, diltiazem
- other cholesterol-lowering medicines e.g. colestyramine, lomitapide, niacin
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Ezetimibe+Simvastatin.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
Avoid alcohol and excessive consumption (more than 1 litre a day) of grapefruit juice.
Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.