Sofosbuvir and Ledipasvir are combined together in this medicine.
Sofosbuvir + Ledipasvir is used on its own or together with ribavirin to treat hepatitis C virus infection of the liver.
Take Sofosbuvir + Ledipasvir exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not take more or less than instructed by your doctor.
You may take this medicine with or without food. Swallow it whole with a glass of water. Do not divide, chew or crush the tablet.
Try to take it at the same time each day.
If you vomit less than 5 hours after taking Sofosbuvir + Ledipasvir, take another tablet. If you vomit more than 5 hours after taking this medicine, you do not need to take another tablet until your next scheduled dose.
The dose of this medicine will be decided by your doctor. Your doctor will advise you on the treatment timeframe depending on the type and severity of your infection.
You must complete the entire course of medicine. If you don't, the infection will not be properly controlled.
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is more than 18 hours since you missed the dose, skip the missed dose and return to your normal dosing schedule.
DO NOT double a dose under any circumstances.
If you often forget to take your medicine, let your doctor and pharmacist know.
Do not take this medicine if you ever had an allergic reaction (rashes, breathlessness, swollen eyes) to Sofosbuvir, Ledipasvir or any other similar medicines.
Do not take Sofosbuvir + Ledipasvir with ribavirin if you are pregnant or planning to have a baby soon. If you become pregnant while being treated with these medicines, alert your doctor immediately. Ribavirin may cause harm to your unborn child. It is important that you do not get pregnant during the treatment. You must use proven birth control methods while taking Sofosbuvir + Ledipasvir with ribavirin. You may wish to discuss birth control methods with your doctor or pharmacist.
Do not take Sofosbuvir + Ledipasvir with medicines to treat an infection known as tuberculosis, epilepsy and high cholesterol. Please see the section “Can I take this with other medicines?” below for more information.
Inform your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- current or previous hepatitis B virus infection
- awaiting or have undergone liver transplant
- HIV infection
- at risk of slow heartbeat
Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Be sure to check with your doctor or pharmacist before giving this medicine to a child.
Keep your appointments with your doctor. Your doctor needs to monitor your condition and check your response to the medication regularly.
- If you ever had hepatitis B virus infection, it could become active again during or after treatment of hepatitis C virus with Sofosbuvir + Ledipasvir. This may cause serious liver problems. Your doctor will check if you are at risk for hepatitis B virus reactivation.
- You may need to have routine blood tests (e.g. bilirubin, liver enzyme, creatinine). Your doctor will advise you about how often you will need to have these tests.
- If you are pregnant, Sofosbuvir + Ledipasvir when taken with ribavirin may not be suitable for you. Pregnancy test may be done prior to initiation, during and 6 months after treatment.
- Regular monitoring of heart rate may be needed if you are taking this medicine with amiodarone.
Sofosbuvir + Ledipasvir may cause dizziness or tiredness. If affected, do not drive or take part in any activity in which you need to be alert.
Other side effects may include any of the following: nausea, diarrhoea, irritability, headache, difficulty sleeping, weakness, muscle pain and cough.
Some side effects may need immediate medical help. Alert your doctor quickly if you experience any of the following:
- signs of allergy e.g. breathlessness, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue, and rashes
- signs of liver problems e.g. yellowing of the skin or eyes
- chest pain
- fainting or near fainting
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Do not take Sofosbuvir + Ledipasvir with the following medicines:
- medicines to treat TB (an infection known as tuberculosis) e.g. rifampicin
- medicines for epilepsy (fits or seizures) e.g. phenytoin, phenobarbital, carbamazepine
- cholesterol-lowering medicine e.g. rosuvastatin
- herbal medicine e.g. St. John’s wort
This medicine should not be taken with stomach medicines such as omeprazole, cimetidine or antacids (medicines to neutralise stomach acid) as it could reduce the effectiveness of Sofosbuvir + Ledipasvir. Your doctor may give you a different medicine or adjust the dose of these medicines. Take it exactly as instructed by your doctor.
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any of these medicines:
- medicine for irregular heartbeat e.g. amiodarone
- medicine for heart disease e.g. digoxin
- other medicine for epilepsy e.g. oxcarbazepine
- medicine for HIV infection e.g. tenofovir
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Sofosbuvir + Ledipasvir.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
Protect from light.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.