Tadalafil is used to treat pulmonary arterial hypertension (high blood pressure in the blood vessels leading to the lungs).
Take Tadalafil exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not take more or less than instructed by your doctor.
You may take this medicine with or without food. Try to take it at the same time each day.
Swallow the tablet whole with a glass of water.
Tadalafil must be taken regularly for it to be effective. Continue taking this medicine even when you feel better. Do not stop taking it unless instructed by the doctor.
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your normal dosing schedule.
DO NOT double a dose under any circumstances.
If you often forget to take your medicine, let your doctor and pharmacist know.
Alert your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- heart attack within the last 3 months
- low blood pressure
- loss of vision due to a condition known as non-arteritic anterior ischaemic optic neuropathy (loss of blood flow in the nerve of the eye)
as Tadalafil may not be suitable for you.
Do not take Tadalafil with medicines used to treat chest pain (e.g. glyceryl trinitrate) or other medicines for high blood pressure in the blood vessels leading to the lungs (e.g. riociguat).
Inform your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- pre-existing heart disease e.g. aortic stenosis (narrowing of the heart valves), hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy (abnormally thick heart muscle)
- bleeding disorder
- stomach ulcer
- blood cell problems e.g. sickle cell anaemia (a type of low red blood cell count in the body), leukaemia (cancer of the blood)
- pulmonary veno-occlusive disease (a rare disease characterised by a blockage in the blood vessels of the lungs)
- severe irregular or abnormal heartbeat
- uncontrolled high blood pressure
- any hereditary eye disease
- any deformation of the penis
- liver disease
- kidney disease or undergoing dialysis
Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Do not switch between different brands unless advised by your doctor.
Keep your appointments with your doctor. Your doctor needs to monitor your condition and check your response to the medication regularly. Your blood pressure may fall to unsafe levels without you noticing it. Monitor your blood pressure regularly during treatment.
Tadalafil may cause dizziness. If affected, do not drive or take part in any activity in which you need to be alert.
Other side effects include any of the following: headache, blurred vision, nosebleed, stuffy nose, indigestion, stomach discomfort, nausea, vomiting, flushing, back pain, and muscle pain.
Some side effects may need immediate medical help. Alert your doctor quickly if you experience any of the following:
- sudden chest pain, irregular heartbeat, shortness of breath
- sudden decrease or loss of vision in one or both eyes
- sudden decrease or loss of hearing (may be accompanied by dizziness or ringing in the ears)
- painful or prolonged erection (erection lasting for 4 hours or more)
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Do not take Tadalafil with medicines for chest pain (e.g. glyceryl trinitrate, isosorbide dinitrate) or other medicines for high blood pressure in the blood vessels leading to the lungs (e.g. riociguat).
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any of these medicines:
- medicines for high blood pressure e.g. enalapril, amlodipine
- medicines to treat enlarged prostate e.g. doxazosin, alfuzosin
- medicines for HIV infection e.g. ritonavir, saquinavir
- medicines to treat fungal infections e.g. ketoconazole, itraconazole
- medicines for epilepsy (fits or seizures) e.g. phenobarbital, phenytoin, carbamazepine
- asthma medicines e.g. theophylline, terbutaline
- rifampicin (medicine to treat TB, an infection known as tuberculosis)
- ethinylestradiol (birth control pill)
- erythromycin (certain antibiotic)
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Tadalafil.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
Avoid alcohol and excessive consumption of grapefruit juice (more than 1 litre a day).
Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children. Protect from moisture.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.