Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid are combined in this medicine.
This medicine is an antibiotic. It is used to treat certain bacterial infections of the ears, nose, dental areas, throat, lungs, bladder, skin, bones and joints.
Amoxicillin + Clavulanic acid may be used to treat other conditions as decided by your doctor.
Take Amoxicillin + Clavulanic acid exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not take more or less than instructed by your doctor.
You may take this medicine with or without food. However, it is best to take it at the start of a meal to improve its absorption in the body and reduce any stomach discomfort that it may cause. Try to take it at the same time each day.
Amoxicillin + Clavulanic acid is available as a conventional or extended-release tablet, and as a powder for oral suspension.
If you are taking the extended-release type of tablet (usually labeled as “ER”), swallow it whole with low-fat meals or snacks to reduce stomach upset. Do not divide, chew or crush the tablet.
If you are taking the oral suspension, tap or invert the bottle to loosen the dry powder and add the specified volume of water to reconstitute the suspension. Shake the bottle well before you take it to ensure that the liquid is evenly mixed. The oral suspension may be mixed with milk, formula, or juice. Use the measuring spoon or cup provided to measure your dose.
The dose of this medicine will be decided by your doctor. Your doctor will advise you on the treatment timeframe depending on the type and severity of your infection.
Take Amoxicillin + Clavulanic acid at regular intervals. Do not skip any doses. You must complete the entire course of this medicine. If you don't, the infection will not be properly controlled.
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your normal dosing schedule.
DO NOT double a dose to make up for the missed dose.
If you often forget to take your medicine, let your doctor and pharmacist know.
Do not take this medicine if you had an allergic reaction (e.g. rashes, breathlessness, swollen eyes) to Amoxicillin or Clavulanic acid and other similar antibiotics such as penicillins (e.g. ampicillin, cloxacillin, sultamicillin), cephalosporins (e.g. cefaclor, cefalexin, cefuroxime), monobactam or carbapenem antibiotics.
Alert your doctor if you have a history of liver disease associated with Amoxicillin + Clavulanic acid, as this medicine may not be suitable for you.
Do not take the extended-release type of tablet if you have severe kidney disease or undergoing dialysis.
Inform your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- glandular fever (a type of viral infection also known as infectious mononucleosis)
- unable to pass urine regularly
- atopy (tendency to develop allergic reactions)
- liver disease
- kidney disease and those undergoing dialysis
Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Be sure to check with your doctor or pharmacist before giving this medicine to a child.
Do not switch between different formulations unless advised by your doctor.
If you are going for certain laboratory tests (e.g. urine glucose tests, Coombs’ test, Aspergillus
EIA test), inform your doctor that you are taking Amoxicillin + Clavulanic acid.
Keep your appointments with your doctor. Your doctor needs to monitor your condition and check your response to the medication regularly.
- Routine tests (e.g. complete blood count, liver and kidney function tests) may be done while you are being treated with this medicine. Your doctor will advise you about how often you will need to have these tests.
- Regular monitoring for signs of infection (e.g. fever, sore throat) and allergic reactions (e.g. rash, swollen face or throat) may also be needed.
Amoxicillin + Clavulanic acid may cause any of the following side effects: diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, indigestion, headache, skin rash or itching, and thrush in the mouth, skin folds or vagina.
Some side effects may need immediate medical help. Alert your doctor quickly if you experience any of the following:
- rashes, breathlessness, swollen eyes, face or mouth
- severe, persistent watery or bloody diarrhoea accompanied by stomach pain or fever
- fits or seizures
- yellowing of the skin or eyes, abdominal pain, dark-coloured urine, unusual tiredness
- unusual bleeding or bruising, frequent and persistent sore throat with fever
- rashes with peeling of the skin or blistering of the lips, mouth or eyes accompanied by fever
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any of these medicines:
- medicines for gout (abnormal metabolism of uric acid) e.g. probenecid, allopurinol
- blood-thinning medicines e.g. warfarin, acenocoumarol
- mycophenolate mofetil (medicine used in organ transplant)
- methotrexate (medicine for cancer)
- birth control pills
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Amoxicillin + Clavulanic acid.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children. Protect from moisture.
Refrigerate the oral suspension (between 2-8°C) once you have mixed the powder with water. Do not freeze it otherwise, it will become less effective. Throw away any unused portion based on the specific product recommendations.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.