INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE AND HANDLING: Instructions for use of the Cosentyx 150mg prefilled syringe: Read ALL the way through these instructions before injecting. It is important not to try to inject yourself until you or a person in your care have been trained by your doctor, nurse or pharmacist. The box contains Cosentyx pre-filled syringe(s) individually sealed in a plastic blister.
Your Cosentyx pre-filled syringe: Needle cap; Syringe Guard; Viewing window Label &expiration date; Finger grips; Syringeguard wings; Plunger; Plungerhead.
After the medication has been injected the syringe guard will be activated to cover the needle. This Cosentyx pre-filled syringe is intended to aid in the protection of healthcare professionals, patients who self-inject doctor prescribed medications and individuals that assist self-injecting patients from accidental needle sticks.
What you additionally need for your injection: Alcohol swab, Cotton ball or gauze, Sharps disposal container.
Important safety information: Caution: Keep the Cosentyx pre-filled syringe out of the reach of children.
1. The needle cap of the syringe may contain dry rubber (latex), which should not be handled by persons sensitive to this substance.
2. Do not open the sealed outer box until you are ready to use the Cosentyx pre-filled syringe.
3. Do not use the Cosentyx pre-filled syringe if either the seal on the outer box or the seal of the blister are broken, as it may not be safe for you to use.
4. Never leave the Cosentyx pre-filled syringe lying around where others might tamper with it.
5. Do not shake the Cosentyx pre-filled syringe.
6. Be careful not to touch the syringe guard wings before use. By touching them, the syringe guard may be activated too early.
7. Do not remove the needle cap until just before you give the injection.
8. The Cosentyx pre-filled syringe cannot be re-used. Dispose of the used Cosentyx pre-filled syringe immediately after use in a sharps container.
Storage of the Cosentyx 150 mg pre-filled syringe: 1. Store the Cosentyx prefilled syringe sealed in its outer box to protect it from light. Store in the refrigerator between 2°C and 8°C. DO NOT FREEZE.
2. Remember to take the Cosentyx prefilled syringe out of the refrigerator and allow it to reach room temperature before preparing it for injection (15 to 30 minutes).
3. Do not use the Cosentyx prefilled syringe after the expiration date shown on the outer box or syringe label. If it has expired, return the entire pack to the pharmacy.
The injection site: The injection site is the place on the body where you are going to use the Cosentyx pre-filled syringe.
The recommended site is the front of your thighs. You may also use the lower abdomen, but not the area 2 inches around the navel (belly button). If a caregiver is giving you the injection, the outer upper arms may also be used.
Choose a different site each time you give yourself an injection.
Do not inject into areas where the skin is tender, bruised, red, scaly or hard. Avoid areas with scars or stretch marks.
Preparing the Cosentyx 150 mg pre-filled syringe ready for use: Note: For a 150 mg dose, prepare 1 pre-filled syringe and inject the content. For a 300 mg dose, prepare 2 pre-filled syringes and inject the content of both.
1. Take the box containing the Cosentyx pre-filled syringe out of the refrigerator and leave it unopened for about 15 to 30 minutes so that it reaches room temperature.
2. When you are ready to use the Cosentyx pre-filled syringe, wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
3. Clean the injection site with an alcohol swab.
4. Remove the Cosentyx pre-filled syringe from the outer box and take it out of the blister.
5. Inspect the Cosentyx prefilled syringe. The liquid should be clear. Its color may vary from colorless to slightly yellow. You may see a small air bubble, which is normal. DO NOT USE if the liquid contains easily visible particles, is cloudy or is distinctly brown. DO NOT USE if the Cosentyx syringe is broken. In all these cases, return the entire product pack to the pharmacy.
How to use the Cosentyx 150 mg pre-filled syringe: 1. Carefully remove the needle cap from the Cosentyx pre-filled syringe. Discard the needle cap. You may see a drop of liquid at the end of the needle. This is normal.
2. Gently pinch the skin at the injection site and insert the needle. Push the needle all the way in to ensure that the medication can be fully administered.
3. Holding the Cosentyx pre-filled syringe, slowly depress the plunger as far as it will go so that the plunger head is completely between the syringe guard wings.
Keep the plunger pressed fully down while you hold the syringe in place for 5 seconds.
4. Keep the plunger fully depressed while you carefully lift the needle straight out from the injection site.
5. Slowly release the plunger and allow the syringe guard to automatically cover the exposed needle.
There may be a small amount of blood at the injection site. You can press a cotton ball or gauze over the injection site and hold it for 10 seconds. Do not rub the injection site. You may cover the injection site with a small adhesive bandage, if needed.
Disposal instructions: Dispose of the used Cosentyx pre-filled syringe in a sharps container (closable, puncture resistant container). For the safety and health of you and others, needles and used syringes must never be re-used.