Difflam-C Solution is indicated for use as a rinse or gargle. It should not be swallowed but rather should be expectorated after each use.
Difflam-C Solution contains chlorhexidine.
Chlorhexidine is known to induce hypersensitivity, including generalised allergic reactions and anaphylactic shock. The prevalence of chlorhexidine hypersensitivity is unknown, but available literature suggests this is likely to be very rare. Difflam-C Solution should not be administered to anyone with a possible history of an allergic reaction to chlorhexidine.
If any signs or symptoms of a suspected hypersensitivity reaction such as itching, skin rash, redness, swelling, breathing difficulties, light headedness, and rapid heart rate develop, immediately stop using the product. Appropriate therapeutic countermeasures must be instituted as clinically indicated.
Difflam-C Solution should generally be used undiluted but if burning or stinging occur, it may be diluted with water. If a sore throat is either caused or complicated by a bacterial infection, appropriate antibacterial therapy should be considered in addition to the use of Difflam-C Solution. For use in patients with hepatic or renal impairment see Dosage & Administration.
Use in Children: Because of the lack of sufficient clinical experience, Difflam-C Solution is not recommended in children under 6 years of age.