Fluocinolone is used to treat long-term eczematous otitis externa (an inflammatory condition characterised by itching, redness, discharge or flaking of the skin of the outer ear canal).
Use Fluocinolone exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not use more or less than instructed by your doctor.
To use the oil ear drops:
- Wash your hands with soap and water before using the ear drops. Ensure that your ear canal is clean and dry.
- Lie down or tilt your head to one side.
- Gently pull and hold your earlobe up and back. Instil the required number of drops into your ear canal.
- Keep your head tilted for about a minute.
- Gently pat the excess medicine dripping out of the ear using a clean cotton ball.
- Repeat steps to administer your dose into the other ear if required.
- After each use, wipe the nozzle with a clean tissue and replace the cap of the bottle.
Do not allow the tip of the dropper to touch any other surfaces, including your fingers.
Avoid contact with your eyes. Rinse immediately with water if this medicine gets into your eyes. Alert your doctor if you start to have any problems with your eyesight.
Do not share your ear drops with anyone else.
Do not use with occlusive dressing unless instructed by the doctor.
Instil the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your normal dosing schedule.
DO NOT double a dose to make up for a missed dose.
If you often forget to use your medicine, let your doctor and pharmacist know.
Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Be sure to check with your doctor or pharmacist before giving this medicine to a child. Children may be more sensitive to the side effects.
Inform your doctor if your condition does not improve or if it worsens.
Fluocinolone may cause any of the following side effects: burning sensation, itching, irritation, redness, drying, and thinning of the skin.
If you develop rashes, breathlessness, swollen mouth or eyes, stop using this medicine and inform your doctor immediately. These could be signs of an allergic reaction.
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking or using any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.