Permethrin is used to treat lice and mite infestation on the skin.
Apply Permethrin exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not apply more than instructed by your doctor.
If you are given the cream rinse or lotion for the treatment of head lice, follow these steps:
- Wash hair with conditioner-free shampoo, rinse with water and towel dry.
- Apply sufficient amount of cream rinse or lotion to hair and scalp, and leave on hair for no longer than 10 minutes.
- Rinse off hair with warm water.
- Remove remaining head lice with a lice-removal comb.
- If lice are still present after first treatment, repeat after 7 days.
If you are given the cream rinse for the treatment of body lice, follow these steps:
- Apply to affected area.
- Wash off after 10 minutes.
If you are given the cream for the treatment of scabies, follow these steps:
- Apply cream to entire body. Pay attention to the areas between fingers and toes, under nails, wrists, armpits, external genitalia, breasts and buttocks. Avoid the area around the mouth and eyes.
- Leave on for 8 to 14 hours.
- Wash off with water.
- Repeat if mites are still present 14 days after first treatment.
Apply the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your normal dosing schedule.
DO NOT double a dose under any circumstances.
Avoid contact with eyes when applying the cream. Do not apply on broken skin or open wounds.
Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
How can I prevent lice or mite infestation at home?
- Avoid direct skin-to-skin or hair-to-hair contact with an infested person.
- Avoid contact with the infested person’s belongings e.g. combs, hair accessories, hats, towels, clothing, bedding.
- Clean and vacuum the room of an infested person, and machine-wash and dry-clean all his/her clothing and bedding.
- If you are a close contact of the infested person, seek treatment immediately.
Permethrin may cause any of the following side effects: redness, itch, burning, stinging, tingling, and rash.
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children. Do not allow to freeze.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.