Sodium stibogluconate is used to treat leishmaniasis (parasitic disease spread by bites of infected sand flies).
There are several forms of leishmaniasis:
- visceral (affecting the internal organs e.g. liver)
- cutaneous (sores on the skin)
- mucocutaneous (sores in the mouth, nose, and throat)
Sodium stibogluconate may be given by deep intramuscular (into the muscle) or intravenous (into the vein) injection.
Your doctor or nurse will administer the injection for you.
The dose of this medicine will be decided by your doctor. Your doctor will advise you on the treatment timeframe depending on the type and severity of your condition.
Ensure that you keep all appointments with your doctor so that you do not miss any doses. Your doctor also needs to regularly monitor your response to Sodium stibogluconate.
If you miss an appointment or miss an injection, alert your doctor or nurse. A replacement appointment or injection should be given as soon as possible.
Alert your doctor if you have kidney disease as this medicine may not be suitable for you.
DO NOT use Sodium stibogluconate with amphotericin B or medicines that may cause heart rhythm problems (e.g. astemizole, cisapride, and terfenadine).
Inform your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- liver disease
- heart disease e.g. heart rhythm disorder
Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Keep your appointments with your doctor. Your doctor needs to monitor your condition and check your response to the medication regularly.
- Heart rhythm monitoring may be done before and during your treatment.
- Your doctor may also need to do some routine tests (complete blood count, liver and kidney function tests). Your doctor will advise you on how often you need to have these tests.
Sodium stibogluconate may cause any of the following side effects: nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach pain, headache, lack of appetite, joint or muscle pain, tiredness, and lack of energy.
Some side effects may need immediate medical help. Alert your doctor quickly if you experience any of the following:
- irregular heartbeat
- signs and symptoms of pneumonia e.g. cough, difficulty breathing, chest pain when you breathe or cough, fever
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Do not use Sodium stibogluconate with the following medicines:
- amphotericin B (medicine used to treat fungal infections)
- medicines used to treat allergy e.g. astemizole, terfenadine
- cisapride (medicine used to treat digestive disorder)
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Sodium stibogluconate.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.