Umeclidinium + Vilanterol is used to treat chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder or COPD, a lung disease that makes it hard to breathe.
This medicine helps treat your chest illness by relaxing airways in your lungs, relieving chest tightness, wheezing and cough so that you can breathe more easily.
Use Umeclidinium + Vilanterol exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not take more or less than instructed by your doctor.
This medicine is available as powder for inhalation.
Make sure you know how to use the specific device you have been given. If you have problems or do not understand the instructions, ask your doctor or pharmacist to show you how to use it.
Instructions for use:
- Slide the cover down to expose the mouthpiece. You should hear a “click” and the counter will count down by 1 number. If the counter does not count down, call your pharmacist or healthcare provider.
- Holding the device away from your mouth, breathe out as far as you comfortably can.
- Put the mouthpiece between your lips and close your lips firmly. Take 1 long, steady deep breath in through your mouth. Do not breath in through your nose. Make sure that you do not block the airvent with your fingers while breathing in.
- Remove the inhaler from your mouth and hold your breath for about 3-4 seconds or as long as comfortable for you.
- Breathe out slowly and gently. You may not taste or feel the medicine.
- Wipe the mouthpiece with a clean tissue and slide the cover up and over the mouthpiece as far as it will go.
Always rinse your mouth and throat after using your inhaler.
Umeclidinium + Vilanterol must be used regularly for it to be effective. Continue using this medicine even when you feel better. Do not stop using it unless instructed by your doctor.
Use the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your normal dosing schedule.
DO NOT double a dose under any circumstances.
If you often forget to use your medicine, let your doctor and pharmacist know.
Do not take this medicine if you ever had an allergic reaction (rashes, breathlessness, swollen eyes) to milk.
Inform your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- heart disease
- high blood pressure
- glaucoma (increased pressure in the eye)
- low level of potassium in your blood
- overactive thyroid
- prostate enlargement
- bladder problems e.g. painful urination, difficulty passing urine
Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Do not use this medicine to relieve a sudden attack of breathlessness. Umeclidinium + Vilanterol cannot relieve an acute chest tightness or asthma attack. Follow your doctor’s advise on how you can manage an acute asthma attack.
Keep your appointments with your doctor. Your doctor needs to monitor your condition and check your response to the medication regularly.
Umeclidinium + Vilanterol may cause any of the following side effects: headache, cold, cough, dry mouth, sore throat, inflamed sinuses, constipation, diarrhoea, nausea, stomach pain, chest pain, limb pain, neck pain, joint pain and muscle spasm.
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any of these medicines:
- other medicines for asthma or COPD e.g. theophylline, salmeterol, terbutaline, indacaterol, olodaterol
- medicines for fungal infection e.g. ketoconazole, itraconazole
- medicines for depression e.g. selegiline, amitriptyline, nefazodone
- medicines for high blood pressure or heart disease e.g. labetalol, propranolol, sotalol
- diuretics or “water pills” e.g. hydroclorothiazide, furosemide
- certain antibiotics e.g. clarithromycin, telithromycin
- medicines for HIV infection e.g. ritonavir, indinavir, lopinavir, nelfinavir
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Umeclidinium + Vilanterol.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.