Toxicity due to overdose has been reported. 500 mg IV to a child, 2 year of age, resulted in lethal intoxication. Administration of a total of 56 g during 10 days to an adult resulted in renal insufficiency. In certain high-risk conditions (e.g. in case of severe renal impairment) high serum levels and ototoxic- and nephrotoxic effects can occur.
Measures in case of overdose: A specific antidote is not known.
Symptomatic treatment while maintaining renal function is required.
Vancomycin is poorly removed from the blood by haemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis. Haemofiltration or haemoperfusion with polysulfone resins have been used to reduce serum concentrations of vancomycin.