Instructions for use and handling: Epirubicin hydrochloride 2 mg/ml Injection may be further diluted in glucose 5% or sodium chloride 0.9% and administered as an intravenous infusion. The infusion solution should be prepared immediately before use.
For instructions on the administration of the product, see Dosage & Administration.
The injection solution contains no preservative and any unused portion of the vial should be discarded immediately.
Guidelines for the safe handling and disposal of antineoplastic agents: 1. If an infusion solution is to be prepared, this should be performed by trained personnel under aseptic conditions.
2. Preparation of an infusion solution should be performed in a designated aseptic area.
3. Adequate protective disposable gloves, goggles, gown and mask should be worn.
4. Precautions should be taken to avoid the medicinal product accidentally coming into contact with the eyes. In the event of contact with the eyes, irrigate with large amounts of water and/or 0.9% sodium chloride solution. Then seek medical evaluation by a physician.
5. In case of skin contact, thoroughly wash the affected area with soap and water or sodium bicarbonate solution. However, do not abrade the skin by using a scrub brush. Always wash hands after removing gloves.
6. Spillage or leakage should be treated with dilute sodium hypochlorite (1% available chlorine) solution, preferably by soaking, and then water. All cleaning materials should be disposed of as detailed as follows.
7. Pregnant staff should not handle the cytotoxic preparation.
8. Adequate care and precautions should be taken in the disposal of items (syringes, needles etc) used to reconstitute and/or dilute cytotoxic medicinal products. Any unused product or waste material should be disposed of in accordance with local requirements.
Incompatibilities: Prolonged contact of the medicinal product with any solution of an alkaline pH should be avoided: this will result in hydrolysis (degradation) of the active substance. A physical incompatibility of the product with heparin has been reported. This medicinal product must not be mixed with other medicinal products except those previously mentioned in Instructions for use and handling.