Flecainide is used to prevent or control certain types of irregularity in your heartbeat, bringing it back to normal rhythm.
Take Flecainide exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not take more or less than instructed by your doctor.
This medicine may be taken with or without food. Try to take it at the same time each day.
Flecainide must be taken regularly for it to be effective. Continue taking this medicine even when you feel better. Do not stop taking it unless instructed by the doctor.
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your normal dosing schedule.
DO NOT double a dose under any circumstances.
If you often forget to take your medicine, let your doctor and pharmacist know.
Alert your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- heart failure or other heart disease
- severe low blood pressure
as Flecainide may not be suitable for you.
Inform your doctor if you have:
- liver disease
- kidney disease
- electrolyte imbalance (a low potassium or magnesium level in the blood)
Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Inform you doctor if you are using a pacemaker (a small device that is placed in the chest to regulate the beating of the heart).
Keep your appointments with your doctor. Your doctor needs to monitor your condition and check your response to Flecainide regularly. He may also need to perform electrocardiogram (ECG), a type of test to check the electrical activity of the heart, while you are being treated with this medicine.
Flecainide may cause dizziness, blurred or double vision. If affected, do not drive or take part in any activity in which you need to be alert.
Other side effects include any of the following: difficulty in breathing, nausea, vomiting, weakness, tiredness, tremor, headache, fever, and swelling of some parts of your body.
Some side effects may need immediate medical help. Alert your doctor quickly if you experience any of the following:
- worsening of your heart condition
- abnormally slow heartbeat
- chest pain
- difficulty in breathing
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any of these medicines:
- other medicines for heart disease e.g. acebutolol verapamil, digoxin
- medicines for cold or allergy e.g. mizolastine, terfenadine
- medicines for HIV e.g. ritonavir, indinavir
- medicines to treat depression e.g. fluoxetine
- medicines for epilepsy (fits or seizures) e.g. phenytoin, phenobarbital, carbamazepine
- medicines for mood disorders e.g. clozapine
- medicines to treat fungal infections e.g. terbinafine
- medicines for smoking cessation e.g. bupropion
- warfarin (a blood-thinning medicine)
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Flecainide.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.