Hyoscine is used to relieve muscle cramps in the stomach, bowels or bladder.
It may also be used to relieve symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (condition that affects the large bowel).
This medicine may be used to treat other conditions as decided by your doctor.
Take Hyoscine exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not take more or less than instructed by your doctor.
You may take this medicine with or without food. Try to take it at the same time each day.
If you are taking the tablet, swallow the tablet whole with a glass of water. Do not divide, chew or crush the tablet.
You may stop taking Hyoscine when you have no more muscle cramps.
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your normal dosing schedule.
DO NOT double a dose under any circumstances.
Alert your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- increased pressure in the eye
- enlarged bowel
- myasthenia gravis (muscle weakness disorder)
as Hyoscine may not be suitable for you.
Inform your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- heart disease e.g. fast or irregular heartbeat, heart failure, high blood pressure
- thyroid problems e.g. overactive thyroid
- stomach problems e.g. stomach obstruction, inflammation of the bowels
- bladder obstruction e.g. enlarged prostate
- liver disease
- kidney disease
- fits or seizures
Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Be sure to check with your doctor or pharmacist before giving Hyoscine to a child or elderly person. Children and elderly people may be more sensitive to the side effects.
Hyoscine may cause drowsiness, tiredness or blurred vision. If affected, do not drive or take part in any activity in which you need to be alert or need to see clearly.
This medicine may cause any of the following side effects: constipation, dry mouth, difficulty or painful urination, and rashes.
Some side effects may need immediate medical help. Alert your doctor quickly if you experience any of the following:
- difficulty in breathing
- irregular heartbeat
- painful red eye with loss of vision
- persistent or worsening stomach pain
- changes in bowel movement
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any of these medicines:
- medicines for depression e.g. doxepin
- medicines for allergies e.g. loratadine
- medicines for nausea and vomiting e.g. metoclopramide
- medicines for mood disorders e.g. haloperidol, fluphenazine
- medicines for breathing problems e.g. tiotropium, ipratropium
- medicines for Parkinson’s disease (a brain disease that affects movement) e.g. amantadine
- medicines for heart disease e.g. quinidine, disopyramide
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Hyoscine.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
Store in a cool dry place away from reach of children.
Keep tablets in their original package to protect from light.
Medicines must not be kept past the expiry date.