Paricalcitol is used to prevent or treat secondary hyperparathyroidism (excessive secretion of parathyroid hormone by the parathyroid glands in response to low blood calcium levels) in people with chronic kidney disease (gradual loss of kidney function over a period of months or years).
Paricalcitol injection is to be given intravenously (via bolus) through a haemodialysis vascular access port. It is delivered through the tube (bloodline) that is used to connect you to the machine.
Your doctor or nurse will administer the injection for you.
The dose of Paricalcitol will be decided by your doctor. Your doctor will advise you on the treatment regimen depending on your condition, response and tolerability to this medicine.
Paricalcitol must be taken regularly for it to be effective. Continue taking this medicine even when you feel better. Do not stop taking it unless instructed by the doctor.
Ensure that you keep all appointments with your doctor so that you do not miss any doses. Your doctor also needs to regularly monitor your response to Paricalcitol.
If you miss an appointment or miss an injection, alert your doctor or nurse. A replacement appointment or injection should be given as soon as possible.
Alert your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- vitamin D toxicity
- hypercalcaemia (high calcium levels in the blood)
as Paricalcitol may not be suitable for you.
Inform your doctor if you have adynamic bone disease (low bone turn-over).
Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
If you are going for blood tests (e.g. kidney function tests), inform your doctor that you are taking Paricalcitol as it may affect the results.
Keep your appointments with your doctor. Your doctor needs to monitor your condition and check your response to the medication regularly. You may need to have routine blood tests (e.g. intact parathyroid hormone, calcium and phosphorus levels) while you are being treated with this medicine.
Paricalcitol may cause dizziness. If affected, do not drive or take part in any activity in which you need to be alert.
Other side effects may include any of the following: headache, palpitations, nausea, vomiting, dry mouth, altered taste, water retention (e.g. bloating, puffy face or abdomen, swollen ankles, unexplained weight gain), chills, fever, weakness or discomfort, flu, joint pain, itching of the skin and pain at the injection site.
Some side effects may need immediate medical help. Alert your doctor quickly if you experience any of the following:
- signs and symptoms of pneumonia (lung infection) e.g. wheezing with difficulty in breathing or swallowing
- signs and symptoms of an allergic reaction e.g. swelling of the face, lips, mouth, tongue or throat
- signs and symptoms of high levels of calcium in the blood e.g. muscle weakness, loss of appetite, bone pain, irregular heartbeat
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any of these medicines:
- medicines to treat fungal infection e.g. ketoconazole, itraconazole, voriconazole
- medicines for HIV infection e.g. atazanavir, nelfinavir, indinavir, ritonavir, saquinavir
- certain antibiotics e.g. clarithromycin, telithromycin
- medicines for heart disease e.g. digoxin
- medicines for water retention e.g. hydrochlorothiazide
- cholesterol-lowering medicines e.g. cholestyramine
- medicines used to reduce high levels of phosphorous in the blood e.g. sevelamer
- medicine to neutralise stomach acid e.g. aluminum hydroxide, magnesium hydroxide
- other supplements or multivitamins that contain calcium, phosphate, or Vitamin D
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Paricalcitol.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
It is important to adhere to the diet prescribed by your doctor.
Store at room temperature. Do not allow to freeze.
Once opened, use the vials immediately.