Salmeterol and Fluticasone are combined in this medicine to treat asthma.
Salmeterol is a "bronchodilator", which means "open airways". Salmeterol relaxes the airways in your lungs. Fluticasone belongs to a group of medicines called "steroids". Steroids reduce inflammation in the airways of your lungs.
Salmeterol + Fluticasone work together to relieve chest tightness, wheezing and cough so that you can breathe more easily.
This medicine is a preventive asthma medicine that must be used regularly.
Salmeterol + Fluticasone is also used to treat chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (a long-term lung disease that causes airflow obstruction making it hard to breathe).
Use Salmeterol + Fluticasone exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not use more or less than instructed by your doctor.
Salmeterol + Fluticasone is available as different types of devices, such as inhaler or autohaler.
Make sure you know how to use the specific device you have been given. If you have problems or do not understand the instructions, ask your doctor or pharmacist to show you how to use it.
Always rinse your mouth and throat after using your inhaler or autohaler.
Do not wash or put any part of your inhaler or autohaler in water.
Do not share your inhaler or autohaler with others as it could spread infection.
Do not switch between different brands or types of inhalation devices unless instructed by your doctor.
The dose of this medicine will be decided by your doctor. Your doctor will advise you on the treatment timeframe depending on the type and severity of your disease.
Inform your doctor if your asthma or breathing gets worse. You may need additional treatment. Your doctor will advise you about the treatment course.
Salmeterol + Fluticasone must be used regularly for it to be effective. Continue using this medicine even when you feel better. Do not stop using it unless instructed by the doctor.
Use the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your normal dosing schedule.
DO NOT double a dose under any circumstances.
If you often forget to use your medicine, let your doctor and pharmacist know.
Do not use Salmeterol + Fluticasone to relieve a sudden attack of breathlessness. This medicine is not intended for the relief of an acute asthma attack.
Inform your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- heart disease such as heart rhythm disorder, heart failure
- lung infection known as tuberculosis
- other types of infection caused by bacteria, virus, parasites or fungi
- hypokalaemia (low potassium level in the blood)
- thyrotoxicosis (overactive thyroid gland)
- liver disease
- cataract (clouding of the lens of the eye) or glaucoma (increased pressure in the eye)
- epilepsy (fits or seizures)
- at risk of a decreased bone mineral count e.g. family history of osteoporosis (thinning and weakening of bones), menopause, smoking
Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Be sure to check with your doctor or pharmacist before giving Salmeterol + Fluticasone to a child or the elderly. Children or elderly people may be more sensitive to the side effects.
If you are going to have an operation, including minor surgery and dental work, inform your doctor or dentist that you are using this medicine.
Why is it important to keep my appointments with the doctor?
Keep your appointments with your doctor. Your doctor needs to monitor your condition and check your response to the medication regularly.
- Routine tests (e.g. lung function, bone mineral density, electrolyte or sugar levels) may be done while you are being treated with this medicine.
- Your blood pressure may rise to unsafe levels without you noticing it. Monitor your blood pressure during treatment.
- Regular monitoring of growth in children and signs and symptoms of oral and throat infection, glaucoma or cataracts may also be needed.
Your doctor will advise you about how often you need to have these tests.
Salmeterol + Fluticasone may cause any of the following side effects: headache, muscle cramps or spasms, joint pain, hoarseness of the voice, creamy-yellow, raised patches in the mouth and throat, feeling shaky, disturbed sleep, and uneven heartbeat.
Some side effects may need immediate medical help. Alert your doctor quickly if you experience any of the following:
- fever or chills, increased phlegm production, change in phlegm colour, increased coughing
- rashes, breathlessness, swelling of the face, eyes or mouth
- upset stomach, passing out, mood changes, weight loss
- chest pain or pressure
- difficulty breathing or wheezing
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any of these medicines:
- medicines for HIV infection e.g. ritonavir, atazanavir, indinavir, nelfinavir, saquinavir
- certain antibiotics e.g. clarithromycin, telithromycin
- medicines to treat fungal infection e.g. itraconazole, ketoconazole
- medicines used to treat depression e.g. nefazodone
- medicines for high blood pressure
- water pills or medicines for water retention e.g. hydrochlorothiazide, furosemide
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Salmeterol + Fluticasone.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.
Throw away the canister after the indicated number of doses is used up.