Symptoms: Symptoms include headache, nausea, vomiting, epigastric pain, gastrointestinal irritation, gastrointestinal bleeding, rarely diarrhoea, disorientation, excitation, coma, drowsiness, dizziness, tinnitus, hypotension, respiratory depression, fainting, occasionally convulsions. In cases of significant poisoning acute renal failure and liver damage are possible.
Treatment: Patients should be treated symptomatically as required.
Within one hour of ingestion of a potentially toxic amount, activated charcoal should be considered. Alternatively, in adults, gastric lavage should be considered within one hour of ingestion of a potentially life-threatening overdose.
Specific therapies such as dialysis or haemoperfusion are probable of no help in eliminating NSAIDs due to their high rate of protein binding and extensive metabolism.
Good urine output should be ensured.
Renal and liver function should be closely monitored.
Patients should be observed for at least four hours after ingestion of potentially toxic amounts.
In case of frequent or prolonged convulsions, patients should be treated with intravenous diazepam.
Other measures may be indicated by the patient's clinical condition.
Management of acute poisoning with NSAIDs essentially consists of supportive and symptomatic measures for complications such as hypotension, renal failure, convulsions, gastro-intestinal irritation, and respiratory depression.