Aciclovir is used to treat herpes simplex virus infection of the eye (herpes simplex keratitis).
Apply Aciclovir exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not use more or less than instructed by your doctor.
This medicine is available as an ointment. To use Aciclovir, follow these steps:
- Wash and dry your hands before applying the ointment.
- With your index finger, pull the lower eyelid down the eye to form a pouch.
- Hold the tube with your other hand and place it as near to your eyelid as possible without touching it. Squeeze a thin strip of ointment (about 1 cm unless otherwise stated) into the pouch.
- Gently close your eyes and keep them closed for 1-2 minutes.
- Wipe any excess ointment from the eyelids and lashes with a clean tissue. With another clean tissue, wipe the tip of the tube clean.
- Replace and tighten the cap of the tube.
- Wash your hands to remove any medication.
Do not share your eye ointment with anyone else.
Aciclovir must be used regularly and within the given medication timeframe for it to be effective. Do not stop using it unless instructed by the doctor.
Apply the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your normal dosing schedule.
Do not use more than what is instructed by the doctor to make up for the missed dose.
If you often forget to use your medicine, let your doctor and pharmacist know.
Do not use this medicine if you ever had an allergic reaction (rashes, breathlessness, swollen face) to Aciclovir or any similar medicines such as valaciclovir.
Inform your doctor if you have a weak immune system.
Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Be sure to check with your doctor or pharmacist before giving Aciclovir to a child. Children may be more sensitive to the side effects.
Do not wear contact lenses while using Aciclovir.
Aciclovir may cause your vision to be temporarily blurred. If affected, do not drive or take part in any activity in which you need to see clearly.
Other side effects may include any of the following: irritation or stinging of the eye, swollen or runny eyes.
If you develop rashes, breathlessness, swollen mouth or eyes, stop using Aciclovir and inform your doctor immediately. These could be signs of an allergic reaction.
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.
Throw away any remaining eye ointment 1 month after opening. Mark the date of opening on the tube so that you know when to discard it.