Monast

Monast Side Effects

montelukast

Manufacturer:

Hetero Labs

Distributor:

Polymedic
Full Prescribing Info
Side Effects
Montelukast has been generally well tolerated. Side effects, which usually were mild, generally did not require discontinuation of therapy. The overall incidence of side effects reported with Montelukast was comparable to placebo.
Adults 15 Years of Age and Older with Asthma: Montelukast Tablet has been evaluated in approximately 2600 adult patients 15 years of age and older in clinical studies. In two similarly designed, 12-week placebo-controlled clinical studies, the only adverse experiences reported as drug related in ≥1% of patients treated with Montelukast Tablet and at a greater incidence than in patients treated with placebo were abdominal pain and headache. The incidences of these events were not significantly different in the two treatment groups.
Cumulatively, 544 patients were treated with Montelukast Tablet for at least 6 months, 253 for one year and 21 for 2 years in clinical studies. With prolonged treatment, the adverse experience profile did not change.
Pediatric Patients 6 to 14 Years of Age with Asthma: Montelukast Tablet has been evaluated in approximately 475 pediatric patients 6 to 14 years of age. The safety profile in pediatric patients is generally similar to the adult safety profile and to placebo. In an 8-week, placebo-controlled clinical study, the only adverse experience reported as drug related in > 1% of patients treated with Montelukast Tablet and at a greater incidence than in patients treated with placebo was headache. The incidence of headache was not significantly different in the two treatment groups.
In studies evaluating growth rate, the safety profile in these pediatric patients was consistent with the safety profile previously described for Montelukast Tablet.
Cumulatively, 263 pediatric patients 6 to 14 years of age were treated with Montelukast Tablet for at least 3 months and 164 for 6 months or longer. With prolonged treatment, the adverse experience profile did not change.
Pediatric Patients 2 to 5 Years of Age with Asthma: Montelukast Tablet has been evaluated in 573 pediatric patients 2 to 5 years of age. In a 12- week, placebo-controlled clinical study, the only adverse experience reported as drug related in > 1% of patients treated with Montelukast Tablet and at a greater incidence than in patients treated with placebo was thirst. The incidence of thirst was not significantly different in the two treatment groups.
Cumulatively, 426 pediatric patients 2 to 5 years of age were treated with Montelukast Tablet for at least 3 months, 230 for 6 months or longer, and 63 patients for 12 months or longer. With prolonged treatment, the adverse experience profile did not change.
Pediatric Patients 6 Months to 2 Years of Age with Asthma: Montelukast Tablet has been evaluated in 175 pediatric patients 6 months to 2 years of age. In a 6-week, placebo-controlled clinical study, the adverse experiences reported as drug related in >1% of patients treated with Montelukast Tablet and at a greater incidence than in patients treated with placebo were diarrhea, hyperkinesia, asthma, eczematous dermatitis and rash. The incidences of these adverse experiences were not significantly different in the two treatment groups.
Adults 15 Years of Age and Older with Seasonal Allergic Rhinitis: Montelukast Tablet has been evaluated in 2199 adult patients 15 years of age and older for the treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis in clinical studies. Montelukast Tablet administered once daily in the morning or in the evening was generally well tolerated with a safety profile similar to that of placebo. In placebo-controlled, clinical studies, no adverse experiences reported as drug related in ≥1% of patients treated with Montelukast Tablet and at a greater incidence than in patients treated with placebo were observed. In a 4-week, placebo- controlled clinical study, the safety profile was consistent with that observed in 2-week studies. The incidence of somnolence was similar to that of placebo in all studies.
Pediatric Patients 2 to 14 Years of Age with Seasonal Allergic Rhinitis: Montelukast Tablet has been evaluated in 280 pediatric patients 2 to 14 years of age for the treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis in a 2-week, placebo-controlled, clinical study. Montelukast Tablet administered once daily in the evening was generally well tolerated with a safety profile similar to that of placebo. In this study, no adverse experiences reported as drug related in ≥1% of patients treated with Montelukast Tablet and at a greater incidence than in patients treated with placebo were observed.
Adults 15 Years of Age and Older with Asthma and Seasonal Allergic Rhinitis: Montelukast 10-mg film-coated tablets have been evaluated in approximately 400 asthmatic patients 15 years of age and older with seasonal allergic rhinitis. The safety profile in asthmatic patients with seasonal allergic rhinitis was consistent with that observed in patients with asthma.
Adults 15 Years of Age and Older with Perennial Allergic Rhinitis: Montelukast has been evaluated in 3235 adult and adolescent patients 15 years of age and older with perennial allergic rhinitis in two, 6-week, placebo-controlled, clinical studies.
Montelukast Tablet administered once daily was generally well tolerated, with a safety profile consistent with that observed in patients with seasonal allergic rhinitis and similar to that of placebo. In these two studies, no adverse experiences reported as drug related in ≥1% of patients treated with Montelukast Tablet and at a greater incidence than in patients treated with placebo were observed. The incidence of somnolence was similar to that of placebo.
Pediatric Patients 1 to 14 Years of Age with Perennial Allergic Rhinitis: The safety in patients 2 to 14 years of age with perennial allergic rhinitis is supported by the established safety in patients 2 to 14 years of age with seasonal allergic rhinitis. The safety in patients 12 to 23 months of age is supported by data from pharmacokinetic and safety and efficacy studies in asthma in this pediatric population and from adult pharmacokinetic studies.
Pooled Analyses of Clinical Trials Experience: A pooled analysis of 41 placebo-controlled clinical studies (35 studies in patients 15 years of age and older; 6 studies in pediatric patients 6 to 14 years of age) was performed using a validated assessment method of suicidality. Among the 9929 patients who received Montelukast Tablet and 7780 patients who received placebo in these studies, there was one patient with suicidal ideation in the group taking Montelukast Tablet. There were no completed suicides, suicide attempts or preparatory acts toward suicidal behavior in either treatment group.
A separate pooled analysis of 46 placebo-controlled clinical studies (35 studies in patients 15 years of age and older; 11 studies in pediatric patients 3 months to 14 years of age) assessing behavior-related adverse experiences (BRAEs) was performed. Among the 11,673 patients who received Montelukast Tablet and 8827 patients who received placebo in these studies, the frequency of patients with at least one BRAE was 2.73% in patients who received Montelukast Tablet and 2.27% in patients who received placebo; the odds ratio was 1.12 (95% CI [0.93; 1.36]).
The clinical trials included in these pooled analyses were not designed specifically to examine suicidality or BRAEs.
Post-Marketing Experience: The following side effects have been reported in post-marketing use: Infections and infestations: upper respiratory infection.
Blood and lymphatic system disorders: increased bleeding tendency, thrombocytopenia.
Immune system disorders: hypersensitivity reactions including anaphylaxis, very rarely hepatic eosinophilic infiltration.
Psychiatric disorders: agitation including aggressive behavior or hostility, anxiousness, depression, disorientation, disturbance in attention, dream abnormalities, hallucinations, insomnia, memory impairment, psychomotor hyperactivity (including irritability, restlessness and tremor), somnambulism, suicidal thinking and behavior (suicidality).
Nervous system disorders: dizziness, drowsiness, paraesthesia/hypoesthesia, very rarely seizure.
Cardiac disorders: palpitations.
Respiratory, thoracic and mediastinal disorders: epistaxis; pulmonary eosinophilia.
Gastrointestinal disorders: diarrhea, dyspepsia, nausea, vomiting.
Hepatobiliary disorders: increased ALT and AST, very rarely hepatitis (including cholestatic, hepatocellular, and mixed-pattern liver injury).
Skin and subcutaneous tissue disorders: angioedema, bruising, erythema multiforme, erythema nodosum, pruritus, rash, Steven Johnson Syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, urticaria.
Musculoskeletal and connective tissue disorders: arthralgia, myalgia including muscle cramps.
Renal and urinary disorders: enuresis in children.
General disorders and administration site conditions: asthenia/fatigue, edema, pyrexia.
Exclusive offer for doctors
Register for a MIMS account and receive free medical publications worth $139 a year.
Sign up for free
Already a member? Sign in