Palonosetron is used to prevent nausea and vomiting associated with cancer chemotherapy (cancer treatment).
Take Palonosetron exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not take more or less than instructed by your doctor.
You may take Palonosetron with or without food.
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember.
DO NOT double a dose under any circumstances.
Inform your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- history of constipation
- blocked bowel
- heart disease e.g. abnormal heart rhythm
- abnormal levels of potassium, sodium, magnesium, calcium in the blood
Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Palonosetron may cause dizziness. If affected, do not drive or take part in any activity in which you need to be alert.
Other side effects may include any of the following: headache, diarrhea, tiredness and constipation.
Some side effects may need immediate medical help. Alert your doctor quickly if you experience any of the following:
- confusion and hallucinations (seeing, hearing or feeling things that are not existent)
- restlessness, lack of coordination, muscle stiffness, increased body temperature, fast heartbeat
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any of these medicines:
- medicines used to treat depression e.g. fluoxetine, paroxetine, sertraline, fluvoxamine, citalopram, venlafaxine, duloxetine
- medicines for moderate to severe pain e.g. tramadol, fentanyl
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Palonosetron.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription
Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children. Protect from light.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.