Bimatoprost is used on its own or together with other medicines to treat an increased pressure in the eye.
This medicine may also be used to treat hypotrichosis (abnormal pattern of hair loss) of the eyelashes.
Use Bimatoprost eye drop solution exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not use more or less than instructed by your doctor.
This medicine is best used in the evening.
To use the eye drop solution:
1. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water before using the eye drop.
2. Shake the bottle well before using.
3. Tilt your head slightly backwards. With the index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Look upward and instill the required number of drops inside the lower eyelid.
4. Close your eyes and do not blink for the next 30 seconds.
5. Wipe any excess liquid from your face with a clean tissue.
6. Replace and tighten the cap of the bottle.
For the treatment of hypotrichosis, follow these steps:
1. Ensure the face is clean before applying Bimatoprost.
2. Using the provided sterile applicator, apply this medicine evenly along the skin of the upper eyelid margin at the base of the eyelashes. Do not use brushes or any other applicator.
3. Use a tissue or an absorbent cloth to blot any excess solution which may run off outside the upper eyelid margin.
4. Repeat for the opposite eyelid margin using a new sterile applicator.
5. Do not reuse applicator.
Do not allow the tip of the dropper of this medicine to touch your eyes, eyelids or any other surface. Recap the eye drop immediately after use. If the eye drop becomes contaminated, it could cause an infection in your eyes.
If you have been given any other eye drops or medicines to be used together with Bimatoprost, wait for at least 5 minutes before using the other medicine.
Do not share your eye drop with anyone else.
Instill the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your normal dosing schedule.
DO NOT double a dose under any circumstances.
If you often forget to use your medicine, let your doctor and pharmacist know.
Inform your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- eye infection or any other eye disorder
- low heart rate
- low blood pressure
- liver disease
- kidney disease
Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
If you are wearing soft contact lenses, remove it before using Bimatoprost eye drops. Wait for at least 15 minutes before reinserting your lenses.
For as long as you are using this medicine, you may need to have your eyes checked regularly to monitor the pressure in your eyes. Your doctor will advise you about how often you need to have these tests.
Bimatoprost may cause some problems with your eyesight. If affected, do not drive or take part in any activity in which you need to see clearly.
Other side effects include any of the following: headache, eye discomfort such as dryness, swelling, redness or pain and an increased growth or thickening of your eyelashes.
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.
Do not use 4 weeks after first opening.