Docusate sodium helps in the removal of ear wax. It penetrates and softens the thick or hardened ear wax to facilitate easy removal.
Use Docusate sodium ear drops exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not use more or less than instructed by your doctor.
To use the ear drop solution:
- Wash your hands with soap and water before using the ear drops.
- Lie down or tilt your head to one side.
- Gently pull and hold your ear up and back. Instil a sufficient amount to fill your ear canal.
- Keep your head tilted for several minutes.
- Before rising, place a small plug of cotton wool in the ear and leave the plug until the next treatment.
- Repeat steps to administer your dose into the other ear if required.
- In some difficult cases, your doctor may use a syringe filled with warm water to help flush out the softened ear wax after you use this medicine.
Make sure you know how to use your ear drops. If you have problems or do not understand the instructions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Do not allow the tip of the dropper to touch any other surfaces, including your fingers.
Do not share your ear drops with anyone else.
Instil the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your normal dosing schedule.
DO NOT double a dose to make up for a missed dose.
Alert your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- damaged or perforated eardrum
- ear inflammation or pain
as Docusate sodium may not be suitable for you.
Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Be sure to check with your doctor or pharmacist before giving Docusate sodium to a child. Children may be more sensitive to the side effects.
Avoid prolonged use of this medicine.
Keep your appointments with your doctor. Your doctor needs to monitor your condition and check your response to the medication regularly.
Docusate sodium may cause any of the following side effects: ear pain or inflammation, and ear irritation, discomfort or stinging sensation.
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
Protect from light, heat and humidity.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.