Monobasic sodium phosphate and Dibasic sodium phosphate are combined in this medicine.
This medicine is used to cleanse the bowel before bowel examinations.
It may also be used to relieve occasional constipation.
This medicine belongs to a group of medicines called osmotic laxatives. These laxatives work by increasing water in the bowel which makes the stools softer, so they move out of the body more easily.
Use Monobasic sodium phosphate + Dibasic sodium phosphate exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not use more or less than instructed by your doctor.
This medicine is available as a rectal enema.
Monobasic sodium phosphate + Dibasic sodium phosphate enema is to be inserted into the rectum. Do not take it by mouth or use it in any other way. Try to go to the toilet before you insert the enema.
To use the enema, follow these steps:
- Wash your hands thoroughly.
- If you are right-handed, lie on your left side with both knees bent. Arms at rest.
- Remove the protective shield from the tip of the enema.
- Gently insert the enema tip into your rectum with the nozzle pointing towards your navel with steady pressure.
- Squeeze the bottle gently, allowing the liquid to flow into the rectum slowly until nearly all the liquid is expelled; it is not necessary to empty the bottle as it contains more than the amount of liquid needed. Stop if you encounter resistance.
- Remove the nozzle gently from your rectum and return the enema to its original carton for disposal.
- Remain in the same position until you experience lower abdominal cramping. This is generally obtained in 2 to 5 minutes.
- If delayed, discontinue further use and consult your doctor.
If you are using this medicine for constipation, you may stop using this medicine when you are no longer constipated. This medicine is not for long-term use.
Drink plenty of water or clear liquids (e.g. clear soups, black coffee or weak tea, fruit juice without pulp [but not red or purple colour]) to prevent dehydration.
Alert your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- stomach and bowel disease or disorder e.g. blocked bowel, ruptured bowel, inborn or acquired swollen colon, abnormal accumulation of fluid within the spaces of the abdomen, lack of normal bowel movement
- heart failure
- kidney disease
as Monobasic sodium phosphate + Dibasic sodium phosphate may not be suitable for you.
Do not give this medicine to children below 2 years old unless instructed to do so by the doctor.
Do not use Monobasic sodium phosphate + Dibasic sodium phosphate with other constipation medicines containing sodium phosphate.
Inform your doctor if you have the following conditions:
- uncontrolled high blood pressure
- previous electrolyte imbalances (imbalances of essential minerals in the body)
Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Be sure to check with your doctor or pharmacist before giving Monobasic sodium phosphate + Dibasic sodium phosphate to an elderly or debilitated patient (a person who is physically or mentally weak usually due to illness or old age). Elderly people or debilitated patients may be more sensitive to the side effects.
What lifestyle changes can I make to prevent constipation?
You can adopt some of the following lifestyle changes to help prevent constipation:
- Include high-fibre foods such as fruits, vegetables, beans, and whole-grain cereals and bread in your diet. Add fibre to your diet gradually to help reduce gas and bloating.
- Drink plenty of liquids. Limit caffeine intake, which may worsen symptoms of constipation by causing dehydration.
- Be active and exercise regularly.
- Do not ignore the urge to have a bowel movement.
Monobasic sodium phosphate + Dibasic sodium phosphate may cause any of the following side effects: nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach pain, fluid or water loss, chills, anus irritation or discomfort, stinging, or pain.
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away or are severe, or if you experience other side effects.
Do not use Monobasic sodium phosphate + Dibasic sodium phosphate with other medicines for bowel cleansing that contains sodium phosphate.
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any of these medicines:
- medicines for high blood pressure e.g. enalapril, losartan
- water pills or medicines for water retention
- NSAIDs (medicines for pain and inflammation) e.g. ibuprofen
- lithium (medicine for mood disorders)
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with this medicine.
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry data.